Carlingford, Co.Louth, was one of the few significant stopping places on the Greenore to Newry section of the Dundalk Newry & Greenore Railway. The line was opened in August 1876 and was partly owned by the London & North Western Railway. In 1923, the Great Northern Railway took over the operation of the railway and it remained in use until closure at the end of 1951. Today, the station building at Carlingford survives as a tourist office, but the single platform has long since disappeared, the R176 having been rerouted onto the former trackbed by the lough. The site of the small goods yard with two sidings is now occupied by a car park.