This is the former Carlisle Pier station in Dun Laoghaire, south Dublin City, which was opened by the Dublin & Wicklow Railway as early as 1859. The Dublin Wicklow & Wexford Railway, and much later CIE, added additional facilities to the station, such as an overall roof , and then modern 1950s buildings on the up side of the pier. Carlisle Pier closed in 1980 in preparation for the DART electrification, which would not accommodate the short branch from Dun Laoghaire Station to the pier. The tracks were taken up and now Holyhead boats depart from a new terminal nearer to Dun Laoghaire Station. Although the platforms at the pier have been filled in with tarmac, the station buildings, including the Victorian era train shed, were demolished in October 2009.