Carrick-on-Suir, Co.Tipperary, is located on the cross country line between Waterford and Limerick, which only has a limited passenger service. The line was opened by the Waterford & Limerick Railway in 1853, latterly taken over by the Great Southern & Western. The station has up & down platforms, with main building located on the up side, which is a single storey W&LR structure with a minor brick built extension added by the GSWR. The tall GSWR signal cabin stands on the down side of the line adjacent to the 19th century footbridge. At the Limerick end of the station is a goods shed and loading bank, disused since 1978. A level crossing is also located at the western end of the station, operated by the signalman.
The goods shed is now used as the Irish Traction Group's southern based, where CIE locomotives C Class Metrovick No.226, Sulzer engined B Class loco No.B103 and G Class loco N.G601 are currently stored and awaiting restoration by the ITG.