Carrickmacross is the terminus of a short six mile branch from Enniskeen on the former Great Northern Railway's Irish North West line from Dundalk to Enniskillen. The branch line opened in July 1886. These lines closed to passengers in 1957, but remained open for parcel and goods traffic until 1959. Track lifting commenced at Dundalk and by 1960 the Carrickmacross branch line was no more. The main station building, which consisted of a typical GNR terminus with a train shed similar to Ardee is now demolished, but the engine shed, water tower base and typical GNR station masters house survive.