Carrickmines, south Co.Dublin, was located on former Dublin Wicklow & Wexford's mainline from Harcourt Street to Bray, which opened in stages in 1854 and 1859. The line was originally closed by CIE in December 1958, but the Green Luas line has partly utilised most of the former railway trackbed from Harcourt St, extending from Stephens Green down to Brides Glen near Shankill.
Carrickmines railway station once had up & down platforms, with the main DWWR station building on the up side along with a water tower, while on the down side was the waiting shelter, the latter of which was demolished to make way for the Luas line. Today the new platforms for the Carrickmines Luas stop are sited at the south end of the former station, the building of which remains but unoccupied, along with the water tower. North of Carrickmines the line deviates from the former railway route to cross Dublin's M50 orbital motorway.