Carrolls Cross, is merely a town land in Co.Waterford, where a number of roads meet, the main one been the N25 Waterford/Dungarvan Road. Roughly parallel to this route was the 1878 built Waterford & Dungarvan Railway's line. This line, taken over by the Great Southern & Western in 1901 became part the main Rosslare to Cork line via Mallow. Passenger services over the Mallow to Waterford line ceased in 1967, but the section between Waterford and Dungarvan remained in use to serve Ballinacourty magnesite plant. These trains ceased running in 1982 when the plant closed, and the line became semi derelict, with the last movement on route been late as 1990. Carrolls Cross station had just one platform and shelter. The crossing keepers house, which remains albeit rebuilt considerably, also acted as the booking office. The track through the station was finally lifted in the late 1990s.