Castleblayney, Co.Monaghan, was an important station on the former Great Northern Railways Dundalk to Enniskillen line. Opened by the earlier Dundalk & Enniskillen Railway in 1849, this extensive network of lines lost their passenger services in 1957 before finally closing completely in 1959. Castleblayney was also the junction for an additional line to Armagh which ran via Keady. The Keady branch line diverged just west of Castleblayney town. This bracn line opened fully in 1909, but rather surprisingly had a short life, with the section to Keady closing in 1923, and the section to Armagh in 1957 to goods.
The station building at Castleblayney remains, identified by the GNR yellow brick chimneys. Only the platform retaining wall on the railway side is intact, all the other buildings such as the goods shed and signal cabin have been demolished.