Castlecomer Jct, Co.Kilkenny, was located north of Kilkenny city on the former line to Portlaoise via Abbeyleix, opened in 1865 and worked by the Great Southern & Western Railway. In 1922 a junction was established here 4 miles north of Kilkenny, where a 9 mile branch line diverged north to Castlecomer. The branch was built primarily for conveying coal from the colliery at Deepark near Castlecomer. The Great Southern Railway withdrew passengers services over the branch in 1931, but it remained in use for coal/goods traffic for another 32 years, closing along with the main line in Janurary 1963. There was never a station at Castlecomer Junction, but a row of railway staff houses were built here and a signal cabin controlled the junction until 1931. The remains of the junction are still evident, as well as the abandoned houses.