The short branch from Gortatlea Junction, just west of Tralee on the Kerry line, to Castleisland was opened by the Great Southern & Western Railway in August 1875. The branch lost its passenger and goods service in 1947, but the goods traffic recommenced in 1957 and continued right up until 1977. The branch line remained derelict for just over 10 years before it was finally lifted 1988. Most of the trackbed remains intact due to its recent lifting, with some sections of the line having a ballast. Very little remains of the station terminus at Castleisland itself, the site is now occupied by a supermarket car park, but the small GSWR brick station masters house survives.