Charlemont

Charlemount, Dublin City, was located on former Dublin Wicklow & Wexford's mainline from Harcourt Street to Bray, which opened in stages in 1854 and 1859. The line was originally closed by CIE in December 1958, but the Green Luas line has now partly utilised most of the former railway trackbed from Harcourt St, extending from Stephens Green down to Brides Glen near Shankill. There was never a station at Charlemont in railway days, but a new Luas stop was constructed here on the reinstated bridge across the Grand Canal. The original 1850s stone built railway embankment north of Charlemont to Harcourt St was demolished in the late 1960s and nowadays the Luas line drops down to street level to reach Stephens Green in the heart of the city centre.