Charlestown, Co.Mayo, is one of the larger towns sited on the disused Claremorris to Coolloney 'Burma Road' line, which was built cheaply in 1895 by the Great Southern & Western Railway. Regular passenger service ceased in 1963, but goods continued until 1975, Charlestown retained its goods facilities for this, along with its loop and sidings. The station only had one platform, with a signal cabin located half way down it. The goods shed was at the northern end of the station also. The buildings remained in situ up to the mid 1980s when they were demolished leaving just the platform.