Claremorris in Co.Mayo, once had a busy Midland Great Western Railway station reflecting its former importance on the line to Westport. The station once had lines radiating out of it in five directions, but currently only the through Dublin to Wesport line remains in use. The other lines included that to Collooney opened in 1895 and closed in 1975, the Ballinrobe branch opened 1893 and closed in 1959, and the 1860 built line to Athenry which remained in use for freight until the late 1990s, now disused but still in situ.
Claremorris Station has five platforms, but only the up and down see regular use. The signal cabin is now redundant following the introduction of Centralised Traffic Control signalling, and the goods yard is now disconnected. CTC also brought simplification to the junction with the Athenry line and station yard.