The large coastal town of Clonakilty, Co.Cork, was the terminus of a 9 mile branch line which diverged from the main Cork to Bantry line at Clonakilty Jct, and opened in August 1886 by the West Cork Railway. Latterly operated by the Cork Bandon & South Coast Railway, the entire West Cork railway system was closed by CIE in March 1961. Today the terminus at Clonakilty remains largely intact, and includes the main two storey stone built station building and single platform. The large corrugated iron goods shed and platform also survive and are now used by a local industry which occupies much of the station site. At the north end of the station is the derelict locomotive shed, however the nearby signal cabin appears to have been demolished.
The large station building and single platform still survives at Clonakilty, terminus of the 9 mile branch line from Clonakilty Jct. This is the two storey stone built station building at Clonakilty, dating from the opening of the branch line in August 1886. There was once a wooden waiting room on the platform, but this has long disappeared. The end of the line at Clonakilty Station. The buffer stops at the end of the branch line were once sited just before the sleeper constructed fence. To the right is the typical Cork Bandon & South Coast Railway style gate entrance. This is the large goods shed at Clonakilty, now used by an adjacent industry which occupies part of the station area. The corrugated iron structure retains its canopy, wooden doors and platform.
This is the road side of the goods shed at the former Clonakilty Station. The road way seen here also led to the one time cattle loading bank, now demolished. Much of the former station site at Clonakilty is now occupied by a disused Eirecom office and storage yard. This is the approach to the station from Clonakilty Jct. A view looking north along the line towards Clonakilty Jct. The signal cabin was once sited to the left. In the distance can be seen the derelict locomotive shed. A now disused storage area and canopy has been built on the former trackbed. The scenic view from what would have been the signal cabin at Clonakilty Station, now long since demolished. In the background is the town and Clonakilty Harbour.
The derelict single road locomotive shed still stands at the north end of Clonakilty Station. The line continued north passing to the left side of the structure, now overgrown by gorse shrubs. Inside the now roofless locomotive shed at Clonakilty Station. The shed remained in use to service the occasional steam locomotive until closure in March 1961. This disused Victorian footbridge which spanned the former line once gave access to the County Home Hospital outside Clonakilty town. Originally the line ran in a cutting here, which has partially been filled in. Another view of the County Home footbridge, just north of Clonakilty town. This view is looking towards Clonakilty Jct. The hospital is out of view to the left. The pathway leading to the bridge is now disused.
As can be seen from the manufacturer's build stamp, the County Home footbridge at Clonakilty dated from 1898 and was produced at Chepstow in Wales. Access to the bridge was from the adjacent N71 road. Just north of the footbridge was the County Home level crossing, once sited here where the access road to the hospital crossed the railway line. This view is looking towards Clonakilty. A view looking north towards Clonakilty Jct from the former County Home level crossing. The trackbed is to the left of the stone wall, while on the right is the N71 road which leads into the town. A pair of original CBSCR gate posts and gate remain in situ at the former County Home level crossing. As well as giving access to the hospital, the railway was crossed by this lane leading to a local farm.