The village of Cloughjordan, north Co.Tipperary, acquired its station when the Great Southern & Western Railway extended their line from Roscrea south towards Limerick in 1863, eventually forming the Ballybrophy to Limerick branch. The station at Cloughjordan is one of the smaller types built on the line, and consisted of a single platform, small station building and signal cabin. Cloughjordan ceased to be block post in 1977, and the loop serving the cattle bank on the down side of the station and the sidings serving the large stone built goods shed, located at the south end, were removed. Today the station is unstaffed though relatively tidy despite the level of service provided on the line.
Cloughjordan Station, looking north towards Ballybrophy, showing the single storey station building, disused signal cabin and platform. 141 Class locos Nos.171+152 stand at Cloughjordan Station at the head of an Irish Railway Record Society tour to Limerick, former of Mk3 coaching stock. The road overbridge at the north end of Cloughjordan, built for double track and once accommodated the station loop, removed in 1977 when the signal cabin closed. Another view of the station buidling at Cloughjordan, dating from 1863. Several locals from the village have turned up to witness the IRRS special to Limerick.
The large stone built disused goods shed at the south end of Cloughjordan Station. The sidings serving the shed and yard were removed in 1977. A view along the line at Cloughjordan Station, looking south towards Limerick. Note the overbridge, built for double track but never installed. One of CIE's 1980s T-board signs, still in 1990s blue livery at Cloughjordan Station. 071 Class locomotive No.072 is captured just north of Cloughjordan village with Railway Preservation Society of Ireland's 'Province of Leinster' tour from Dublin to Limerick.