Cobh Junction, Co.Cork, is located on the Cork City to Cobh line on the northern bank of the River Lee Estuary. Cobh Junction was established in 1862 when the Cork & Youghal Railway built a branch to the trans-Atlantic port of Cobh which diverged from their already existing main line to Youghal. Within a few years the Cobh branch had become the main line as the town became an important harbour during the late 19th century, the C&YR having been taken over by the larger Great Southern & Western company. The junction where the Cobh and Youghal lines reflected this, with the Youghal line diverging away from the double track main line east of the station. Cobh Junction has up & down platforms, with the small wooden station building located on the down side, which unusually incorporates the 20 lever signal cabin. The base of the former water tower and station masters house are also located on the down side, while on the up platform is a wooden GSWR waiting shelter. The footbridge, located at the east end of the station, is also a GSWR structure.
Regular passenger services on the Youghal line ceased in 1963, but the line remained open for goods and occasional Sunday excursions until the late 1970s, after which only special trains ran once every few years until 1988. The Youghal line lay derelict for 21 years, but was reopened as far as Midleton in 2009. At the same time the station received upgrading, with resurfaced platforms and new waiting shelters.