Colbinstown, Co.Kildare, was one of the smaller stations built on the Great Southern & Western Railway's long branch line from Sallins to Tullow. The GSWR opened the line to Colbinstown in 1885, and it was extended to Tullow some four years later. The station provided at Colbinstown had just one platform, which the main single storey station building was located. The station building at Colbinstown was original wooden, but was destroyed in 1922 during the Civil War, and was replaced by a concrete built one, complete with canopy. At the north end of the station was the brick built 18-lever signal cabin and small stone built goods shed. On the up side of the line was the station masters house and railway cottages.
The branch was never heavily used and passenger services on the route were suspended in 1944 following coal shortages. It reopened briefly only to be closed to regular passenger and goods traffic in 1947. The line to Tullow remained open however for occasional cattle specials before finally closing completely in 1959. Today, all the station buildings remain remarkably intact including the road overbridge at the south end of the station, though the single storey station building has been substantially rebuilt.