Collins Barracks

Collins Barracks is a former military barracks located in Dublin City. Since 1997 the former barracks has been the National Museum of Ireland. The barracks facing onto the River Liffey and adjacent to the front entrance is the Luas 'Museum' tram stop on the Red Line from Dublin to Tallaght. Collins Barracks often have various exhibitions, one of which was a former Dublin United Tramway double deck electric tramcar, which was placed on display in front of the imposing barracks.
Tram No.253, a Dublin United Tramway car, is seen outide Collins Barracks in Dublin Ciy during an exhibition. Front view of No.253, showing the route No.25 for Lucan, and a typical period 'Bouvril' advertisement. The tram line to Lucan was closed by CIE in 1947. The interior of tram No.253, restored at the Howth Transport Museum in north Co.Dublin. Whilst most of the seating is gone many of the original period features remain. The nostalgic back entrance to tram car No.253, complete with 'CAR FULL' notice. Note the winding steps leading up to the top deck.
No.253, complete with route name board on the window, showing the DUTC crest on its side panel.