Coolmine, in the suburbs of west Dublin on the Sligo line, was originally an early block post established here by the Midland Great Western Railway, but was taken out of use in 1906. In July 1990, as part of the suburban Maynooth line upgrade, a new basic station was built here. Once again, just as Castleknock, a container with a window issued the tickets, but this was replaced in 2000/2001 with the typical modern Irish Rail booking. The footbridge however dates from the station's opening in 1990. There are two level crossings in the Coolmine area, one at the west end of the station, the other nearer to Clonsilla on the Porterstown road. Porterstown is a small crossing, adjacent to which is the now derelict gate keepers house, taken out of use when the gates were automated.