Corofin, Co.Clare, was one of the larger villages to be served by the 1887/95 constructed narrow gauge West Clare Railway which ran from Ennis to Kilkee and Kilrush. The line was the last narrow gauge railway in Ireland, finally closing in 1961, despite CIE's efforts to modernise the route. Corofin was the first important station outside Ennis, although the station itself was located some distance from the village. It had a large station building but with a single platform, though a loop and siding were provided at the east end of the station to allow trains to cross. Today the main building, complete with well maintained platform survives.