The small fishing village of Courtmacsherry, Co.Cork, was an unlikely terminus of a railway line, but in December 1890 and May 1891 the Ballinascarthy & Timoleague Jct Railway and its counterpart the Timoleague & Courtmacsherry Extension Railway opened a 9 mile branch line to here from Ballinascarthy on the Cork Bandon & South Coast Railway's Clonakilty branch line. The Timoleague & Courtmacsherry branch was latterly operated by the CBSCR, and featured a section of Ireland's only standard gauge tramway, running alongside the R601 road between the two villages. Regular passenger services on the branch ceased in 1947, but it remained in use for regular goods, sugar beet and excursion traffic until completely closure of the West Cork lines by CIE in March 1961. Today the small wooden station building at Courtmacsherry remains, as does part of the single platform. The former loco shed also remains in use as boat house, and the nearby pier, constructed for fish traffic in 1893 still survives.