Cultra is one of the suburban stations on the only remaining section of Beflast & County Down Railway network, that from Belfast to Bangor. which opened in May 1865. Cultra Station was however closed in 1957 and the BCDR buildings on the up platform were demolished, but the main building, one of the last BCDR stations to remain intact, survives. The station was reopened in 1978 by Northern Ireland Railways and now serves the adjacent Ulster Folk & Transport Museum, once rail connected to the Bangor line. The replacement platform coping stones used for the reopened station actually came from the former Goraghwood Station on the Great Northern Railways Belfast to Dublin main line. The UFTM houses the largest collection of historic Irish railway rolling stock and artifacts, and is well worth a visit.