Fiddown and Portlaw
Fiddown & Portlaw Station, south Co.Kilkenny, is located on the cross country Waterford to Limerick line, which was opened by the Waterford & Limerick Railway in 1853, and later taken over by the Great Southern & Western in 1901. The section of line from Fiddown to Waterford West was once double track, but this was singled in the period between 1929 and 1930 by the Great Southern Railway. Generally known as just Fiddown, the station consisted of up & down platforms, with the main station buildings located on the down side. The large W&LR station building survives as a private residence, as does the small GSWR signal cabin which is now reduced to a gatebox protecting the level crossing on the old N24 road through Fiddown village. The small goods at the east end of the station also survives, complete with wooden canopy. Although the station closed to passengers in 1963, it remained a block post until 1978, after which the loop and sidings were removed. Today only the up platform has been demolished but still retains its small waiting room.