Lucan North, located on the main Dublin to Sligo line between Leixlip and Clonsilla, was opened with the line by the Midland Great Western Railway in April 1849, but was closed by the Great Southern Railway in 1941. During the 1980s there were proposals to reopen this station with the ongoing growing suburbs of Lucan, but this never happened. The MGWR station building located on the down side of the line survives, now in private ownership and is much extended, but still shows its original MGWR architecture similar to that of nearby Leixlip Station. Remarkably on the up side of the line, the brick waiting shelter complete with canopy also remains. The goods yard and Shackleton's Mill siding were located just east before the station, the site is now used for engineering access to the line.