The former Lucan South Station, west of Dublin City, was opened by the Great Southern & Western Railway in August 1846, but closed to passengers and goods traffic in June 1947. It remained a block post however until the late 1970s, retaining its signal cabin and sidings. The old up & down platforms as well as the derelict station buildings were demolished in the mid 1980s and today only the platform retaining wall on the down side of the line remain. It was thought that this station would eventually reopen, but now an entirely new station serving the Adamstown residential development was opened a little south of the station site. The new section of quadruple line through Lucan South between Dublin and Hazelhatch was eventually completed in 2010.