Manulla Junction Station, Co.Mayo, serves only a sparsely populated area. This is where the Midland Great Western Railway's 1876 built branch line to Ballina diverges from the main Dublin to Westport line. The station at Manulla was originally closed in 1963, with the junction been controlled from nearby Balla there after. However in 1988, Manulla Jct was reopened as a passenger transfer point, and Balla ceased to be a block post from then on. Today, both up and down platforms remain, the up being only in use and has been turned into a bay platform to allow Ballina branch services to terminate here. All of the original by then derelict MGWR station buildings were demolished in the late 1980s.