The county town of Wexford was first served by rail when the Dublin Wicklow & Wexford Railway extended their mainline south from Enniscorthy to Wexford in August 1874, with a temporary terminus originally sited at Carcur further located north of the current station. In November 1882, the Great Southern & Western Railway made an end-on connection with the DWWR when they constructed their line north from Rosslare Harbour, via the Wexford quays to the station. This would come part of the main Dublin to Rosslare line.
The station was once known as 'Wexford North', in conjunction with the GSWR's 'Wexford South' Station. The station has a single platform with a single story station building, complete with canopy. At the north end of the station is the 1895 constructed DWWR signal cabin, out of use since 1982 following closure of the station as a signalling block post. The large goods shed at the south end of the station also survives. There was also once a large locomotive shed on the down side, but this is now long since gone. Access to the former goods yard is now controlled by a ground frame, and in recent years a new loop was installed at the north end of the station.