Navan Junction Station, Co.Meath, where the 1862 built Midland Great Western line from Clonsilla to Navan and Kingscourt joined the 1853 built Great Northern line from Drogheda to Oldcastle. The line from Clonsilla through Navan to Kingscourt lost its passenger service in 1947, with the section from Clonsilla to Navan closing completely in 1963. The GNR Drogheda to Oldcastle line lost its passenger service in 1958, with the section from Navan to Oldcastle also closing completely in 1963. Today, only the Drogheda to Navan line remains in use for the transportation of ore from Tara Mines near Tara Junction just west of the former Navan Jct Station, the section to Kingscourt having been disconnected following the cessation of gypsum traffic in 2001
Navan Junction Station was once quite large, and boasted four platforms, with the GNR station buildings located in the centre. Today, only the disused down GNR platform and the MGWR goods shed remain, all other buildings have been demolished. The junction site for the line from Clonsilla however can clearly be seen today. The Clonsilla to Navan line, which had been lifted following closure in 1963, may reopen in the future as Navan has become a well established commuting town for Dublin.