Newmarket, Co.Cork, was the terminus of the 1889 built Great Southern & Western Railway built branch line from Banteer on the Mallow to Tralee line. The branch lost its passenger and goods services in January 1947. However goods traffic recommenced in 1956 with newer motive power acquired, this been CIE's 4-wheel G Class Deutz diesel locos, which proved successful. However despite healthy goods traffic CIE closed the branch completely in February 1963. The station at Newmarket, which consists of a single platform and single storey stone built station building survives intact, and is now used as offices for a local industry that occupy the former station site. The red bricked GSWR station masters house is also now a private residence.