Newcastle, Co.Wicklow, is the only sizeable village on the stretch of coastline between Greystones and Wicklow. The station, located by the sea on the main Dublin to Rosslare line, was opened with the Dublin Wicklow & Wexford Railway in August 1856. The station, which consisted of up & down platforms with station buildings on the up side, and waiting room on the down platform, closed in March 1964. The section from Newcastle south to Wicklow was double track for 50 years, from 1877 to 1927 .The 1923 built Dublin South Eastern Railway style signal cabin remained in use for controlling the passing loop and sidings on the seaward side until 1968. Today, only the D&WR station building on the up side remains, along with the bare up & down platforms.