Newcastle West, Co.Limerick, was first served by rail in June 1867 when a smaller rail company built a line west from Limerick to here, which would eventually run to Tralee, becoming known as the 'North Kerry' line. The section from Newcastle West to Tralee did not however open until December 1880, and this construction meant that Newcastle West station was laid out as a terminus, and therefore through trains had to reverse in & out to continue west to Tralee or east to Limerick. The line fell into the hands of the Great Southern & Western after 1901. Passenger services on the North Kerry line ceased in 1963, but remained open for goods traffic until 1977. The track, along with Newcastle West Station, lay derelict for 10 years when in 1988 it was eventually lifted.
As already mentioned, Newcastle West station was laid out as a terminus, and had a long terminating island platform, with station buildings and a small wooded trains shed . The signal cabin was located at the north end of the station, and opposite this was the goods shed and yard. The buildings became derelict after closure in 1977, but the main GSWR station building, the only surviving railway building left, was restored complete with platform and track in the late 1990s. The rest of station site is now a new housing estate. The trackbed of the former route is now part of the scenic Great Southern Trail walk.