Located between Dalkey and Killiney on this scenic section section of the Dublin to Rosslare line in south Co.Dublin was Obelisk Hill Station, named after the nearby Obelisk perched high above the bay on Killiney Hill. The Dublin & Wicklow Railway opened the station one year after constructing their line from Dun Laoghaire to Bray in 1854. Obelisk Hill Station only had one platform located on the down side of the line, as the line between Dalkey and Killiney was originally built as single track. The station also featured a footbridge, and was accessed from the parallel Vico Road above the railway. A walled pathway also existed on the seaward side, giving access to a small cove. Obelisk Hill was somewhat an afterthought and closed in 1857. Today, only one of the footbridge piers at the former station site remain, as does the now crumbling walled pathway on the seaward side. At the southern end of the Obelisk Hill Station site is a footbridge over the railway at Whiterock beach, while at the northern end is the southern portal of Dalkey Tunnel. The line between Dalkey and Killiney was eventually doubled in 1882.