Oranmore, Co.Galway, just east of Galway City, is located on the main line from Dublin, opened by the Midland Great Western Railway in August 1851. Oranmore was closed in June 1963, but the station retained a siding for oil traffic until the early 1980s when that traffic ceased. The derelict and now disconnected siding remains, though quite overgrown. The single storey MGWR station building is now a private residence, while brick waiting room also remains in situ. The up platform, and part of the down platform survives, while the former goods shed has been incorporated into an industrial unit. In the future new a station is to be built in the Oranmore area to serve the expanded commuter traffic into Galway City.