Pettigo, Co.Fermanagh, is located on the former Great Northern Railway's branch line to the well known coastal resort of Bundoran, built in June 1886 and unfortunately closed in November 1957. Pettigo Station retains much of its original buildings, such as its goods shed, up & down platforms and even stone built footbridge supports. At the west end of the station are some cattle pens on the former goods bank. The goods shed is attached to the main station building, and is similar to that of Ballyshannon Station further west. Pettigo was also a well known stop for the GNR's 'Bundoran Express', which regularly picked up pilgrims here coming to or from Lough Derg, and for this the platforms once had lengthy canopies and benches.
Pettigo Station, looking east towards Bundoran Jct. In this view are the up & down platforms, station building and goods shed. The stone built station building at Pettigo, on the Great Northern Railway's Bundoran branch, dating from June 1866. The disused goods shed at Pettigo, located at the west end of the station. The rail entrance into the shed has been bricked up. The stone built goods shed at Pettigo, as viewed from the station forecourt. The shed is attached to the main building. Goods traffic was last handled here in November 1957 when the line closed.
The stone built footbridge support remains on the down platform at Pettigo Station, although the footbridge is long gone. An interesting feature at Pettigo Station are the remains of the former cattle pens, located at the west end of the station. A tall rail overbridge featuring a lattice span, which crosses a small country lane east of Pettigo on the former Bundoran branch line, opened in 1866 and closed completely in 1957.