Virginia Road

Virginia Road Station was located on the March 1863 built Dublin & Belfast Jct Railway's branch line from Drogheda to Navan and Oldcastle, which the Great Northern Railway took over in 1876. Passenger services on the Oldcastle branch ceased in 1958, with the section from Navan to Oldcastle closing completely in April 1963. Virginia Road Station had just one platform. The station building dates from the 1850s, and is unlike any GNR and earlier D&DJR structures. The building has recently been restored and is now in use a cheese manufacturer. At the east end is the stone built road overbridge, which had steps leading down to the platform. The disused GNR signal cabin, once located at the west end of the station, and was demolished in the 1980s. The station itself was located some miles south from the actually Co.Meath village of Virginia, with the word 'Road' emphasising its distance.
The former Virginia Road Station, looking west towards Oldcastle. The station, which was opened in March 1863, had only one platform. It is seen here in a derelict condition in 2003 prior to restoration. What a difference!! A more recent view of Virginia Road, now fully restored and acting as the HQ for Sheridans Cheese Mongers. The former goods yard beyond the single platform has been transformed into offices for the Sherridans. The imposing station building at Virginia Road, constructed by the Dublin & Belfast Jct Railway in 1863. The large station saw only meagre traffic throughout its year, being located some distance from Virginia village. The station at Virginia Road, as seen in early 2003. The extant of the restoration job can be compared with the previous image. The small building on the left is the former toilet block. The restoration was a recipient of An taisce award.
Closer view of the large station building at Virginia Road, designed and built by the Dublin & Belfast Jct Railway in the 1860s. During this time the station house was in a semi-derelict condition, having been abandoned since the 1980s. The platform porch canopy, with supports and lamp holder remain in situ as seen in 2003 at Virginia Road station. An interior view from 2003, showing the booking office at Virginia Road station, with a Great Northern Railway style 'Private' sign visible, and ticket counter on the left. The restored single platform at Virginia Road station, looking west towards Oldcastle. A goods loop, where trains could be crossed, was once located to the right.
Virginia Road station, looking east towards Drogheda, on the right can be seen the former toilet block, and in the distance is the adjacent road overbridge. The single arch bridge, built of stone and brick, is more visible in this view taken following restoration of the station. The small stone built goods shed at Virginia Road survives, located at the west end of the station. Viewed in 2003, it was subsequently fully restored by the Sheridans. The Virginia Road goods shed following restoration. The shed is now frequently busy, acting as a local shop for the Sheridans and local traders at weekends. The goods crane remains in situ on the right.
The rather rusty goods crane is seen in its derelict condition in 2003 at Virginia Road. An interior view of the restored Virginia Road goods shed, showing a lively weekend scene. The large doorway entrance to the left is where the railway wagons were moved into the shed. Another view within Virginia Road goods shed, showing the road side of the structure with its large wooden doors. Some of Sheridans Cheese is also visible. A Victorian Great Northern Railway posted displayed within the goods shed at Virginia Road. Dated 1884, Ballybeg (between Navan and Kells) had yet to be open.
This is the road overbridge at the Navan end of Virginia Road Station. Built for double track, in later years only the main single track line passed beneath it. It is buillt of stone and brick. The road bridge at the Oldcastle end is of a different design featuring two arches. The bridge at Virginia Road, having been tidied up along with the restoration of the station. The arch now provides a useful dry store for a local farmer. Note the platform weighing scales on the right. Close up of the Liverpool manufactured platform weighing scales at Virginia Road, dug out from the undergrowth following restoration by the Sheridans. This is the gate entrance to Virginia Road Station from the road overbridge, from where steps once led down to the platform.
The trackbed of the former railway line on the east side of the road overbridge at Virginia Rd. The line was lifted in 1964, one year after complete closure. This is the road overbridge at the west (Oldcastle) end of Virginia Road station. Unlike the one located at the Navan end of the station, this stone and brick built structure features two arches, although it is unlikely the second was ever used. An accommodation level crossing, located east of Virginia Road, which retains original gates and stone posts. Note also the steps on the left for easy access for the farmer to cross the one time track. In the distance can be seen the relatively new stretch of the N3 road west of Kells, which has obliterated a small section of the railway trackbed. A few scenes from the restored Virginia Road station, including the local market now housed in the goods store.