The seaside town of Youghal, Co.Cork, was first served by rail when the Cork & Youghal railway opened their line from Cork City to Cobh and Youghal in May 1860. The Great Southern & Western Railway took over running of the C&YR in 1868. Regular passenger services on the Youghal line ceased in February 1963, but the line remained open for Sunday excursion and goods traffic until the late 1970s. The last train from Youghal to Cork was a Knock pilgrimage special in 1987. In 2009, the section from Midleton to Cobh Jct was reopened for commuter services into Cork, but remaining section of the line east to Youghal remains derelict.

Youghal Station boasts a large brick built station building, which features several neat brick arch windows and doorways. Metal fencing has been placed around the building for protection. At the west end of the station is the boarded up GSWR signal cabin, which retains its lever frame. The large goods shed at Youghal Station has been demolished, and the turntable at the east end of the station is heavily overgrown but still in situ. The trackwork at the forlorn looking station remains intact, but some sections west of the town at Bog Rd level crossing have been lifted.
Youghal Station in May 1978, showing the single platform terminus, and goods yard to the right. The stone built goods shed was demolished in the 1980s. At this time there was a daily goods service to Youghal. ©Jonathan M.Allen In April 1986, 001 Class locomotive No.029 has arrived at Youghal Station with a rake of Mk2 coaches, forming a Knock pilgrimage special. This was one of the last trains to travel to Youghal before the line fell into dereliction. ©David Hegarty A recent view of the derelict station at Youghal. The large brick built station building remains, albeit disused. At the end of the platform can be seen the signal cabin, now boarded up. The station was opened by the Cork & Youghal Railway in May 1860. On the weed covered platform at Youghal Station. In this view is the 1860s Victorian built C&Y station building. The last passengers to use this platform was in April 1986.
A view showing the extent of the overgrown track on the approach to Youghal Station. Since 1986 much of the Youghal line has fellan into dereliction, with some sections of the track even lifted. At the west end of the platform is the boarded up and disused Great Southern & Western Railway style signal cabin, last maintained by Irish Rail in 1994. To the rear of the signal cabin and station building at Youghal was a bay platform, once used extensively during the summer season when regular specials were operated from Cork. This is the eastern end of the platform at Youghal Station. In the 1970s a ramp was constructed here to allow lorries to tip loads of sugar beet into open railway wagons, bound for the beet factory at Thurles.
Seen roughly at the same location but in April 1986, No.029 is seen in at the headshunt at the east end of Youghal Station while running around the Knock pilgrimage special. To the left can be seen the turntable. ©David Hegarty This is the site of the locomotive turntable at Youghal. The table remains, though heavily overgrown. It was last used to turn a 121 Class locomotive in 1986. This is the end of the turning table at Youghal Station, showing the lever which locks the table in place. The well of the turntable is overgrown with brambles, with some sections filled in with rubble. An early 1970s view of Youghal from the turntable at the east end of the station. The previously photographed lever can be seen on the left. ©Jonathan M.Allen
This is the western end of the station, showing the grass covered track. This is were the run around loop for the station converges. In the background is a row of Victorian era houses which face onto the beech at Youghal. In 1986, loco No.029 is seen again, running around its Knock pilgrimage special at the west end of the station. ©David Hegarty The overgrown turnout point which lead to the goods yard at Youghal, located on the down side of the station. Regular goods services to Youghal had ceased by late 1982, this been mainly the sugar beet traffic to Youghal. The site of the stone built goods shed at Youghal, demolished in the 1980s after it became disused. In this view can be seen the goods loading bank and a former yard lamp.
This was the first level crossing outside Youghal at 'Bog Road' on the line to Cork. The track here was lifted in the 1990s and the crossing gates were removed. The western side of the former Bog Road level crossing, outside Youghal. The now demolished gate keepers house here was constructed of corrugated iron. The overgrown trackbed of the line to Cork at Bog Road level crossing, just west of Youghal. The railway telegraph poles remain in situ on this stretch of the line.