Dunlavin, Co.Wicklow, was one of the more important stations on the former Great Southern & Western Railway's long branch line from Sallins to Tullow, which finally opened in stages in 1889. The long branch was never heavily used and passenger services on the route were suspended in 1944 following coal shortages. It reopened briefly only to be closed to regular passenger and goods traffic in 1947. The line to Tullow remained open however for occasional cattle specials before finally closing completely in 1959. Dunlavin retains its single storey 1922 built concrete station building (the original wooden one was destroyed in 1922 during the Civil War), platform, stone built water tower, and even signal cabin, which still retains much of its original window panes. The adjacent station masters house also remains, and is typical of the type built on the Tullow branch.