Fethard, Co.Tipperary, was the only large town to be served by a railway which once ran from Clonmel to Thurles. The line was opened between 1879 and 1880 by the independent Southern of Ireland Railway, latterly taken over by the Waterford & Limerick Railway, who later became part of the Great Southern & Western in 1901. The station at Fethard consisted of up & down platforms, with a large stone station building located on the up side. The small wooden GSWR signal cabin was also located on the up platform at the north end of the station, beyond which was the stone built goods shed and yard. A small waiting room was provided on the down platform. The line lost its passenger service in 1963, but remained in use for goods until 1967. Fethard remained a block post until closure and retained its loop and sidings. Today, all of the station buildings remain in a very fine condition, well preserved some 40 years after the last train ran.