Hansfield, located on the western extremity of Dublin City's suburbs, is a new station built on the rebuilt section of the former line to Navan between Clonsilla and Dunboyne, to which passenger services were restored to in September 2010. The station has been built, but is yet not open to the public due to a new residential area failing to materialise. The station has up & down platforms, with the main booking office located in an elevated position above the double track line.
The line from Clonsilla to Navan was originally built by the Dublin & Meath Railway in 1862, and was latterly operated by the Midland Great Western. Passenger services over the route ceased in 1947, and goods traffic finally ended in 1963, after which the track was lifted. The section of re-opened line reinstates the former double track which was in place between Clonsilla and Drumree until 1929. Two of the original bridges between Hansfield and Dunboyne have been retained and restored.