Howth, that popular retreat of north Dublin, well known for its harbour and fishing industry, as well as its scenic location, was first served by rail when the Dublin & Drogheda Railway built their line from Amiens St to Howth in May 1847, in an attempt to rival that of the harbour at Dun Laoghaire. Always busy with suburban traffic, largely expended by the Great Northern Railway in the 1940s and 50s, the Howth branch became the terminus of the electrified DART services which commenced operation between Bray and Howth in 1984. Up to 1959, passengers could transfer straight from train at Howth Station onto the GNR's Hill of Howth tram line, which ran to the the summit of Howth and down to Sutton. This scenic tram line was unfortunately closed by CIE in June of that year.

The station building at Howth dates from the D&DR 1840s era, but the platform side, which has the GNR's unique yellow brick building, designed by W.H Mills, along with the typical canopy, was added in the late 19th century. At the end of the platform is Howth signal cabin, another typical GNR design, it's currently boarded up and 'switched out'. Outside the station the abutments of the former tram overbridge remain. Restored GNR Tram car No.9 can also be seen nearby at the Howth Transport Museum, along with other historic tram/road vehicles.
Before the station was refurbished 8100 Class DART No.8315 stands at Howth having arrived with a service from Bray. The run round loop at the station was removed a year later in 2005. The two lever ground frame located beyond the buffer stops at Howth Station. These levers operated the points for the run round loop. The space beyond by the buffers was once used as a flower bed, which by 2004 looked quite neglected. This is the 1870s built Great Northern Railway signal cabin at Howth, located at the end of the platform on the up side of the station. The cabin is a typical GNR design. The neat interior of Howth signal cabin, showing the McKenzie & Holland lever frame, which remains much intact. The cabin has been effectively 'switched out' since 1984.
1983 German built DART unit No.8218 nears the end of its journey as it approaches Howth Station with a service from Bray. The train is seen crossover over the to the up line on which platform No.1 is located. No.8128 was built by Linke Hofman Busch in German in 1983, been delivered to CIE in that year before electrified DART services began operation. Like all of the 8100 Class DARTs, 8218 has since been refurbished. It is seen here awaiting departure back to Bray at Howth Station. No.8321 stands at the south end of Howth Station prior to leading a return service to Bray. The DART trains were not the first electric traction to be seen at Howth Station; the Great Northern's 1901 built electric Hill of Howth tram line once terminated on the right behind the platform wall. The yellow brick Great Northern Railway style station building at Howth, dating from the 1870s. Behind this structure is the original Dublin & Drogheda Railway building of 1847. The yellow brick was chosen by the GNR's architect W.H Mills. The station also retains its GNR canopy.
The cast iron canopy supports at Howth Station, a style which can be seen at many other ex Great Northern Railway stations. 'To trams for the Hill of Howth', as once displayed on a large name board above this entrance up to 1959. This is where passengers transferred onto GNR trams at Howth Station. This is the exterior of Howth Station, which dates from May 1847 when the line first opened. This view was originally obscured by a viaduct which carried the Hill of Howth trams across the main Dublin to Howth road. The bridge was removed after the tram line closed in 1959. The stone abutment of this viaduct can be seen on the left. The typical Great Northern Railway style station masters house at Howth, located adjacent to the station. The building has been partially extended at the rear.
This is the stone abutment dating from 1901 which once supported the cast iron plate bridge which carried the Hill of Howth tram line across the main road heading towards the the summit of Howth. This is the other remaining bridge abutment which carried the GNR's Hill of Howth tram line. The viaduct was removed after the line closed in June 1959. A view from the trackbed of the former Hill of Howth tram line, looking across the main road across the former bridge abutment adjacent to Howth Station. Trams used descend from the viaduct to terminate along side the station platforms. This is the same bridge abutment, but taken a couple of years later showing the recent demolition of the structure for a proposed shopping development, which has since floundered due to the economic recession.
Another view along the former Hill of Howth tram line, looking towards the summit of the Hill of Howth. This particular section ran on a stone built embankment. Most of the former trackbed is now a public footpath. The rear of an 8100 Class DART is seen on the approach to Howth Station with a service from Bray. The approach to Howth is made along the northern shore of the Howth peninsula. New LED colour light signals are seen recently installed at Howth Station, as 8500 Class DART No.8627 approaches with a service from Bray. An 8500 Class DART No.8625 is seen heading out of Howth and passing Claremont level crossing with a southbound service to Bray. The Claremont level crossing is located just before the terminus at Howth, and one of four on the branch.
The former gate keepers house adjacent to Claremont level crossing, now derelict. The level crossing was automated with the DART scheme in 1983, and has since been refurbished with LED lights.