Harmonstown in the northern suburbs of Dublin City is located between Killester and Raheny on the ex Great Northern Railways main line to Belfast line. Harmonstown Station was opened by the Great Northern Railway in January 1959 to serve the expanding northern suburbs of Dublin City. The platforms and waiting shelters were built with concrete, unlike any other earlier smaller station halts built by the GNR. The station was modernised in 1970s, and later in 1983 with the introduction of the electrified DART services. More recently the up and down platforms have been extended at the south end with the DART upgrade project of 2005.