Harristown, Co.Kildare, was one of the smaller stations on the former Great Southern & Western Railway's branch line from Sallins to Tullow, which opened in stages in 1885 and 1889. The long branch was never heavily used and passenger services on the route were suspended in 1944 following coal shortages. It reopened briefly only to be closed to regular passenger and goods traffic in 1947. The line to Tullow remained open however for occasional cattle specials before finally closing completely in 1959. Although it appears the main station building at Harristown has been demolished, the small stone built goods shed and the adjacent station masters house survive. South of Harristown the line crosses the River Liffey on a fine five arched viaduct, built of limestone and brick.