Horse and Jockey
Horse & Jockey, north Co.Tipperary, was located on the independent Southern of Ireland Railway which ran between Clonmel and Thurles, opening between 1879 and 1880, taken over by the Waterford & Limerick, and later Great Southern & Western Railway in 1901. The station at Horse & Jockey, located on the old N8 Dublin to Cork road at the southern end of the village, opened with the section of line between Fethard and Thurles in 1880. It had a single platform, with substantial two storey station building, a type unlike any other built on this line. At the north end of the station is the GSWR built signal cabin, dating from the early 1920s. At the south end of the station the N8 road once crossed the line by a twin arched overbridge, long since demolished. Passenger services between Clonmel and Thurles ceased in 1963, but the line remained in use for goods until 1967. Today, Horse & Jockey is a well preserved station, retaining much its original features.