Ranelagh & Rathmines Station, is located within the southern suburbs of Dublin City on the Dublin & Wicklow Railway's 1859 built Harcourt St to Bray line. The station was a later addition to the line, opening in July 1896, and was generally known simply as 'Ranelagh'. It originally had all timber platforms, but the majority of the up platform was renewed with concrete by CIE in 1943. It had typical Dublin Wicklow & Wexford Railway style corrugated iron station buildings on each platform with the signal cabin being part of one; it was taken out of use in 1928. Access to the station was gained from Dunville Ave and the booking and station masters office was on the up side at street level. A white tiled subway provided access to the down side with wooden stairs leading up to both platforms.
The Harcourt St line was closed in Decembert 1958 by CIE, however it reopened in the form of a Luas tram line in 2004. During construction work for the new line, the original D&WR white tiled subway was partly revealed, this being the only remains of the original station. Ranelagh & Rathmines Station/Stop now has a new guise as 'Beechwood'.