Rochestown, located by Cork Harbour, was on the narrow gauge Cork Blackrock & Passage Railway line, which ran from Cork City south to Crosshaven around Cork Harbour. The section from Crosshaven through to Passage West was single track, but beyond Passage it was double track all the way to Cork City, the only double track 3ft gauge line in Ireland. The Great Southern Railway took over the CB&PR in 1925, by which time the line was under competition from buses, resulting in the closure of the rail line in September 1932. Rochestown Station, a Victorian brick built building with original gable boards remains, though in a semi-derelict condition. The typical CB&PR island platform however has been preserved in good order.
Rochestown Station, on the former CB&PR line, is currently derelict but still retains its platform and brick built facade on its railway side, along with original gable end boards. This is the road side of Rochestown Station, which has been plastered. The brick built chimneys and gable end boards remain. The structure dates from the early 1890s. The former island platform at Rochestown, with the station building beyond. This view is looking south towards Crosshaven. The line was closed in September 1932. The former island platform at Rochestown Station, looking north towards Cork City, with Cork harbour visible on the right. A footbridge was mostly sited here to access the island platform.
Detail on the island platform at the former Rochestown Station, built of stone and brick. The CB&PR was Ireland's only double track 3ft gauge line. A small stone built culvert bridge at the north end of Rochestown, which carried the railway across a small inlet from the harbour. Much of the old trackbed is now a walkway. A nearby plaque about Rochestown Station, as well as the Cork Blackrock & Passage Railway.