Rathvilly, Co.Carlow, was located on the former Great Southern & Western Railway's branch line from Sallins to Tullow, which finally opened in stages in June 1886. The long branch was never heavily used and passenger services on the route were suspended in 1944 following coal shortages. It reopened briefly only to be closed to regular passenger and goods traffic in 1947. The line to Tullow remained open however for occasional cattle specials before finally closing completely in April 1959. Rathvilly Station retains a lot of its original features, such as its canopies on the single storey station building, which replaced an earlier one destroyed in 1922 during the Civil War. The station had only one platform and a loop, as well as a small GSWR built 12-lever signal cabin, it to too being a 1922 replacement and was taken out of use in 1947. At the north end of the station is the goods shed, rebuilt but it too retaining its original wooden canopy. See Disused Stations UK for more images of Rathvilly in a much more derelict state.