Rosslare Harbour, on the southern coast of Co.Wexford, was first served by rail when the Great Southern & Western Railway opened a line from what was to be the harbour to Wexford town in 1882. A delay in construction led to the GSWR's line been closed for just over 20 years, when until Great Western Railway of Britain, in conjunction with the GSWR, opened the proper Rosslare Harbour on the 30th August 1906, along with the construction of the GSWR's Rosslare to Waterford and Cork line, allowing mails from Fishguard to reach the trans-Atlantic liners at Cobh. Originally Rosslare Harbour Station was located on a berth from land, accessed only by a wrought iron railway bridge. In the 1970s and 1980s land reclamation and the expansion of the harbour removed this feature, though some of the bridge supports remain.
In September 1989 however, the station was relocated further inland, and a new purpose built building, with booking facilities and covered gangways to the ships was opened. The station only had one platform, with the run around loop and servicing been provided at the original 1906 station further south. The modern 1989 station was closed in 2008 and was replaced by a basic single platform nearer inland. Rosslare Harbour retains its turntable for steam loco hauled trains. The signal cabin was destroyed by fire in 1997, with hand signalling been used from then on. Today however the line is controlled by Centralised Traffic Control at Dublin Connolly.