Waterford Station is in fact located in Co.Kilkenny on the north side of the River Suir, with the actual major town of Waterford on the south bank of the river linked by a long road bridge. Waterford was once a major railway centre, to which I briefly mention. The GSWR constructed line from Dublin to Waterford opened in the 1850s, the western approach of this line to the station was then joined by the Waterford & Limerick's cross country line from Limerick City. In 1878, the Waterford Dungarvan & Lismore Railway opened their line west from Mallow to Waterford also. From the east, the DWWR constructed their line from Dublin via New Ross in 1904, and finally in 1906 the GSWR opened their joint GWR line from Rosslare Harbour to Waterford. There was also an entirely separate line in Waterford city serving Tramore. With five different lines converging on Waterford, the GSWR station was reconstruction in 1904/6, with the addition of bay platforms at either end of the station and a newly constructed elevated Waterford Central signal cabin.
The Tramore line was the first to close in 1961. The DWWR line from Dublin via New Ross closed in 1963, but remained in use for freight as far as New Ross until the early 1990s. The line from Mallow and Dungarvan closed in 1967, but the section to Dungarvan remained in use to serve Ballinacourty magnesite plant until 1982, with the last train traversing the line in May 1990 and it was lifted in the late 1990s. Passenger services over the 'South Wexford' route to Rosslare were withdrawn in September 2010.
Only the lines from Dublin and Limerick remain in regular use today. Trains either call or terminate at the already mentioned 1906 built GSWR station in Waterford. Only the bay platforms at the west side of the station remain, the eastern bays having been removed following modernisation by CIE in the late 1960s, which also resulted in much of the GSWR buildings been demolished and replaced by a somewhat dull 1960s structure, due for demolition also. The large Waterford Central signal cabin at the west end of the station remains in use, and is the only elevated signal cabin left in Ireland. The station retains its main single platform, which has two faces at either end of the station, these been platform 4 and 3.