The Dublin & Wicklow Railway's line from Dublin reached the county town of Wicklow itself in November 1855, and terminated north of the town at Wicklow Murrough. The present Wicklow Station seen here was built in March 1884 on a new alignment west of the Murrough when the railway was extended further south to Rathdrum in 1862, and ultimately to Wexford. Wicklow Station has up and down platforms, and retains its original DWWR station buildings, such as the typical signal cabin attached to the original footbridge, and brick/stone built waiting room on the up platform. The station once boasted a number of pre-1925 Dublin South Eastern Railway style semaphore signal posts, distinctive in been lattice made. The signal cabin was made redundant following the replacement of mechanical signalling on the Rosslare line in 2008, and the semaphore signals were subsequently removed.