Westport, Co.Mayo, is the terminus of the Midland Great Western Railway's line from Dublin which was opened in January 1866. In 1875, the MGWR built a short extension of the line down to Westport Quay station, later used by goods trains until April 1977, before it was finally lifted in 1988. Westport was also the starting point for the MGWR's branch line to Achill, which was opened in May 1895. Never a profitable line, the Achill line was closed by the Great Southern Railway in November 1937, although a short section remained at Westport until 1969.
Westport Station has up and down platforms, which retain both their MGWR sandstone built station buildings. At the east end of the station on the down platform is the now redundant MGWR signal cabin, it's wooden structure partly rebuilt. The station footbridge is also original. At the west end of the station is the disused MGWR stone built goods and engine sheds. A stub of the Westport Quay line is now used for loading timber trains.