Woodenbridge, Co.Wicklow, is located in the scenic Vale of Avoca on the main Dublin to Rosslare line, and was once the junction station for the branch line to Shillelagh, which was built by the Dublin Wicklow & Wexford Railway in May 1865. The branch lost its passenger service in 1944 and closed to goods in 1947. The section from Woodenbridge to Aughrim remained in use however for stone traffic until May 1953.
Woodenbridge Station itself remained open for passengers until March 1964, with the loop and signalling been eliminated shortly after, although the sidings were retained until the mid 1970s for engineering trains. The station once had up and down platforms, but today only the up platform remains, along with the unusual shaped DWWR brick station building, which is semi-derelict. On the opposite side of the station building was the Shillelagh branch platform. Part of the branch line remained in situ until 1965, but the platform has since been covered over. At the north end of the platform was the typical DWWR signal cabin, now long since gone. The former yard and turntable at the north of the station are also now overgrown.